Parish Information & History
Fr. Romeo Obenita Hontiveros Obituary
- In the hope and promise of the Easter Season, the Diocese of Buffalo and St. Dominic Parish, Brocton/ Westfield announce the death of Rev. Romeo Obenita Hontiveros, a priest of the Diocese of Pagadian, Philippines, who had been serving in the Diocese of Buffalo since 2016. Fr. Hontiveros died on April 30, 2021.
- Born in Kapatagan, Lanao del Norte to Jose and Regina Hontiveros on Jan. 17, 1953, he was one of seven children. After attending Ateneo de Davao University and St. Francis Xavier Seminary, he was ordained a priest on March 25, 1980, for the Diocese of Pagadian. During his 41 years of priestly ministry, he served as an assistant pastor and pastor in several parishes in his home diocese, often being involved as a school director or chaplain.
- He came to the United States in 2005 and served as Parochial Vicar at Our Lady of Victory Parish in the Archdiocese of New York before being named Administrator of St. Dominic Parish in Brocton and Westfield in the Diocese of Buffalo.
- Fr. Hontiveros became a naturalized citizen in May 2015 and held Master's degrees in Theology and Educational Management, as well as a Doctoral degree in Management.
- Fr. Hontiveros will lie in repose for visitation by family and friends at St. Dominic Parish, St. Patrick Worship Site, 12 Central Avenue, Brocton, NY 14716 on Wednesday, May 5, 2021, from 4-7 p.m.
- Family, parishioners, and friends, along with priests and deacons, are invited to a parish Mass celebrated on Wednesday at 7 p.m., also at the St. Patrick Worship Site.
- Bishop Michael W. Fisher, Bishop of Buffalo, will celebrate a Mass of Christian Burial on Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 11 a.m., at St. Dominic Parish at the St. James Major Worship Site, 15 Union St., Westfield, NY 14787.
- Fr. Hontiveros will be interred in his home diocese in the Philippines.